Headphone glitch?

• Oct 31, 2018 - 19:02
Reported version
3.0
Priority
P2 - Medium
Type
Performance
Frequency
Many
Severity
S3 - Major
Reproducibility
Always
Status
active
Regression
No
Workaround
No
Project

I've been using MuseScore for a few years now and I just switched to a MacBook Pro. I've had this probably a few times and I can't find a way around it other than just not using headphones or earbuds. When headphones are plugged in, sound still plays through the speakers, or not at all. I tried it with earbuds yesterday and it worked fine if I rebooted the program, but now it won't work at all. At first I thought it was a hardware problem with either my headphones or headphone port, but everything else works fine with audio input, just not MuseScore.


Comments

True, but the same does actually apply - MuseScore detects external audio devices better if they are present at startup. Otherwise it often works to select them manually via Edit / Preferences. Sometimes it does seem to work automatically, or so it seems. I gather Mac users experience this problem more often. There are a number of issues floating around about this, not sure if anyone has ever really gotten to the bottom of it.

Frequency Once Many

With Musescore 3, when I play a file, headphones relay sound and score progresses.
If I pull out the headphones during play, Musescore locks up, score does not progress.
Interestingly, Musescore 2 does not do this, M2 works fine. I can push in / pull out the headphones with no ill effect. i.e. score will always progress.

Without exception plugging or unplugging earphones does not get noiced by MuseScore 3.1 on my Mac (MacBook 2018 Mojave 10.4.5). The solution is always to press "Reset Audio and MIDI devices' in "I/O" preferences. It is intensely annoying, and a new bug in MS3.