[EPIC] Page Settings: fixes and changes

• Dec 20, 2018 - 19:55
Reported version
3.0
Priority
P1 - High
Type
Functional
Frequency
Once
Severity
S2 - Critical
Reproducibility
Always
Status
PR created
Regression
No
Workaround
No
Project

I have marked this as critical because it's critical that it makes it into the beta, IMO.

Here is the PR: https://github.com/musescore/MuseScore/pull/4456
It has PDF documentation attached.

The PR changes the UI and breaks file format compatibility with 3.01. The PR's branch is currently a compatibility build for 3.01.

The PR fixes:
https://musescore.org/en/node/108196
https://musescore.org/en/node/108226
https://musescore.org/en/node/166306
https://musescore.org/en/node/272331
https://musescore.org/en/node/278887
https://musescore.org/en/node/278889
https://musescore.org/en/node/279309
https://musescore.org/en/node/280359
https://musescore.org/en/node/280361
https://musescore.org/en/node/280362


Comments

Priority P1 - High

Into the beta? I'm afraid that ship has sailed, and the next one is weighing anchor :-). The fixes you implement do sound useful to consider for an update at some point soon after release, but I'm not sure how the file format change will fly. Does that mean scores created in that update won't be openable in at all in older builds, or that the layout will be messed up in all cases, or only that scores using some new feature won't open correctly in older builds?

Yea, my timing on this was not good. The current build acts as a compatibility build, so it can all work together - the code opens all formats (I updated the read206.cpp prodecures too) and saves in the newest format. I have not tested opening a v1 score, but I have tested v2, 3.01, and my new 3.02.

This is good code that fixes real problems. It also adds several enhancements to sweeten the pot. I really need the fixes to the spatium value, the sooner the better, whenever that is. All I want for Christmas is for my PR to be accepted :-)

Relating to my bad timing: The alpha and betas should have been announced on the developer mailing list. If I had known that 3.0 development was coming to a close, I would have started this work sooner. I don't visit the forums on a regular basis, and that's the only place I saw anything announced. I waited to tackle this (again) until finishing other work, but if I had known the timing I would have changed my focus.