shortcuts not saving or loading

• Feb 16, 2019 - 05:55
Reported version
S3 - Major
needs info

1) Preferences > Shortcuts
2) Change any shortcut, e.g. "Add lyrics" shortcut from "Ctrl + L" to "Ctrl + Shift + J"
3) Apply / OK
4) Shortcut works while MuseScore is running
5) Close and re-open MuseScore

Result: "Add lyrics" shortcut is reset to Ctrl + L.
Expected result: Shortcut modification persists across program restart.

I also tried exporting the shortcuts XML with the Save button, and noticed it always exports an identical (default) XML file.

I edited the shortcuts XML file manually, but loading it has no effect.

OS: macOS High Sierra (10.13), Arch.: x86_64, MuseScore version (64-bit):, revision: 8ca4d2c

This works properly in MuseScore 2.


Status active needs info

I cannot reproduce using the most current build of 3.0.2 (5315, for Windows anyhow). Is it possible you have a permissions problem preventing the shortcuts file from being written (this was what the most recent bug fix had to do with)? Or, is it possible MuseScore is crashing on exit and this is preventing the file from being written? I know some Mac users have seen this.

In reply to by Marc Sabatella

I can't reproduce on Linux either, only on Mac. I don't think it's a permissions issue, since all other preferences persist properly, only shortcuts are missing. Unless shortcuts are saved somewhere different from everything else?

This seems like a bug in the shortcut XML generation / loading, since the export feature always saves an identical "shortcuts.xml" without any custom shortcuts. Strange that would only affect Mac.

I ran MuseScore through the terminal, but didn't see any errors when saving or loading shortcuts. I did notice a segfault each time I quit (see attached log), which may be related.

Attachment Size
mscore_log.txt 4.85 KB
Reported version 3.0 3.2

Just to report that on 3.0.2 AppImage on Xubuntu, and on 3.2.3 from the Arch repos, no changes get saved when I try to save the shortcuts to shortcuts.xml. shortcut.xml remains bit-identical after saving a new collection of shortcuts.

What may be of interest is that it used to work on the AppImage, and I don't think I've updated that. I made a lot of changes, saved it to a file, and that file has the changes. Any subsequent changes don't get exported, and it just keeps producing the same shortcuts.xml that I produced after the first batch of changes.

Hi there, same happens to me. Is there any way to fix this? I have got a new laptop which doesn't have all the keys, so after saving shortcuts and restarting the program, new shortcuts have reset to default. This is upsetting because I can't even slur.
Is there anything I can do to help solve this? Does everybody else's shortcut save?


Shortcut for slur is, and ever was, S, a key every (western) keyboard should have.
The inability to save modified shortcuts so far has been due to inapropriate permissions, which in turn were caused by a bogus way of installing an AppImage

Regression Yes No
Status needs info won't fix
Reported version 3.0 3.4

I have 3.4.2 installed, new here, came from Noteflight. same issue??

Generally, inability to save settings means there is a permissions issue in your home folder. In a couple of cases though it could result from attempting to define a shortcut that is reserved by the OS. Which specific command were you trying to customizing the shortcut for, and which key were you trying to define? And what keyboard layout (eg, QWERTY, AZERTY, etc)

Testing with: OS: Arch Linux, Arch.: x86_64, MuseScore version (64-bit): 3.5.0, revision: 43c5553

I've just done a test, and it seems that saving and loading works to an extent now. Before saving, I have to click Apply otherwise the changes will not be written to the file. When loading, the changes are not shown until the dialog is exited and reopened. This is all true for changes that shouldn't be affected by OS-reserved shortcuts or keyboard layout, i.e. simply deleting one of the MuseScore default shortcuts. But, bearing that in mind, it seems I can now save shortcuts!

Also, if I try to reload the default keyboard layout, then Apply, MuseScore segfaults and dumps this core:…

Just tested 3.5.2 on macOS and exporting keyboard shortcuts (Save) and importing (Load...) to another mac works. Only when the shortcuts are imported (loaded), the changes are not shown until the dialog is exited and reopened, as @to7m above mentioned. That issue has brought me here (I thought the keyboard shortcuts are not being imported properly at all).