Preferences not saved

• May 19, 2019 - 14:23
Reported version
S3 - Major

1) Edit -> Preferences
2) Change any setting
3) Quit MuseScore
4) Restart MuseScore
5) Edit -> Preferences : The setting modification has not been saved.

User preferences changes (through the "Edit->Preferences..." menu) are effective during the MuseScore session, but are not saved. When MuseScore is stopped and restarted, all changes are lost.

I started MuseScore from a terminal. The change of user preferences adds the following error message :
QXcbConnection: XCB error: 3 (BadWindow), sequence: 1550, resource id: 31457916, major code: 40 (TranslateCoords), minor code: 0

I use MuseScore 3.0.5 (revision 58dd23d) with Linux/Kubuntu. The used Qt version is 5.9.3.


Status active needs info

What are the permission and ownership settings of the app and the dicrectoeries/files whet the preferences are stored. Does sudo MuseScore.AppImage store the settings? If so permissions/ownerships are the issue. And not for the first time

The needs info status means we don't understand why it's doing that. But I suspect it is related to file writing permission. Most likely the operating system is not allowing MuseScore to update the file where preferences are stored. I'm not familiar enough with Linux to give you more of an idea than that. I've seen other discussion related to this.

See…, esp. the last 2 lines:

For advanced users, the main MuseScore preference file is located at ${XDG_CONFIG_HOME:-~/.config}/MuseScore/MuseScore3.ini.
The other preferences (palettes, session, shortcuts, workspaces, …) are in ${XDG_DATA_HOME:-~/.local/share}/MuseScore/MuseScore3/.

Check those directories, you need to be the owner (chown -R ~/.local ~/.config) and have read, write and execute permissions to the directories, and read and write permissions to the files within (find ~/.local ~/.config -type d | xargs chmod u+rwx; find ~/.local ~/.config -type f| xargs chmod u+rw)

Status needs info active

The ~/.config/MuseScore/MuseScore3.ini file was owned by "root". I have changed the owner, and everything work well now.
Thank you very much for your help.

So it was not the bug I thought ... However, I never touched this .ini file, so it has been created with "root" owner by MuseScore. I think that this should be improved. For this reason, I have set the status of this issue to "active" rather than "fixed". I don't know if it is the correct way to do.

Status active fixed

You probably started it the first time as root or under sudo. Fixing the permissions is the proper fix, and nothing MuseScore can do to correct this.