Note continues after playback stopped (0.9.6 regression)

• Jan 1, 2010 - 14:09
S4 - Minor

Steps to reproduce bug
1. Create a score with long notes (such as whole notes)
2. Press Play to start playback
3. In the middle of a whole note press the Play button again to stop playback

Expected behavior: Sound should stop

Actual behavior: Whole note continues playing indefinitely

MuseScore version: r2541

(Operating System: Windows XP)


I've just had a similar thing happen with Musescore 1.0, revision 3996. I stopped playback in the middle of a piece of music with multiple parts, one note continued playing and could not be stopped until I reloaded the current soundfont file from the synthesizer dialog.

I cannot reproduce it on demand.

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
Computer: HP Pavilion P6310Y
CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 630, 6 Gb RAM
Audio: Realtek, Integrated with motherboard
Soundfont: TimGM6mb.sf2

Useful info. I checked the earlier thread as well. I thought I tried playing over the same section with no result, but perhaps I didn't actually go over where the issue started. I can also get the sound to stop if I reload the soundfont file.

Since my computer is newer, and I am using a smaller soundfont, I'd say the problem is not limited to the issues mentioned back in 2010 and not fixed in 1.0. But perhaps quite rare now?

What I am hoping to use Musescore for is playing hymns during church services. Our church is small and we cannot afford an organist. One of our parishioners used an older program to record MIDI files of each hymn in our hymnal. It is time to replace the older computer and the software.

Using Media Player or Winamp or similar is not suitable, since we sometimes have to adapt in the middle of the playback. Having the software continue to play a tone if we need to stop in the middle of something would be awkward, at best.

One more item. (I hope someone from the Musescore team is looking at this).

I set up a new computer with Musescore. It is a new HP s5743w with 4 Gb RAM and uses a dual core AMD Athlon II at 2.8 GHz. In other words, rather low end, but it should be adequate to the task.

Typical CPU usage is <10% while playing back in Musescore. There is over 2 Gb free RAM also. There is very little other software installed on this computer.

I tried the same music files and while testing during playback, I had the notes "freeze on" several times when I paused the music. The files are almost all imported from MIDI created from a MIDI keyboard. I've attached a file that experienced the playback freeze a couple of times. The problem is not limited to this file.

I still cannot reproduce this on demand, however.

Attachment Size
1-492.mid 10.85 KB