Multi-measure rests creates unexpected key signatures

• Mar 24, 2019 - 11:43
Reported version
3.0
Priority
P1 - High
Type
Graphical (UI)
Frequency
Many
Severity
S4 - Minor
Reproducibility
Always
Status
fixed
Regression
Yes
Workaround
Yes
Project

Create a new score that contains multiple key changes.

When turning on multi-measure rests observe that some of the multi-measure rests show unexpected key signatures in front of the multi-measure rest. See attached file for reference.

Sounds almost identical to issue #118876, but not sure if it is.

Attachment Size
Birds_in_the_Azure_Sky.mscz 22.45 KB

Comments

Status active needs info

This is almost certainly a duplicate of #284100: Spurious key signature on key change if mmrest starts a system (3.0.x only) and as such is already fixed for 3.1. Although scores that already have the extra key signatures may need to have them deleted.

In order to say for sure, we would need precise steps to reproduce this from scratch. But, if you look at the description in the other, I think you'll find it the same. So we would only need new steps to reproduce if different.

Status needs info active

I've never really figured out the exact steps to make it happen in my scores, and once they are there, they key signatures never go away again, which make is hard to confirm it in the files that I have.
However the steps from 284100 make sense and are something that I did during the creation of my scores, which makes your assumption most likely correct.
I'll wait for 3.1 to confirm, if it is fixed.

I hope the fix will allow me to actually remove the key signatures. Currently I mark them invisible, which is a workaround, but it leaves the mm rests with an extra gap at the beginning. Currently there is no way to actually really delete them or make them completely disappear.

Status active duplicate

I'll mark this duplicate, then, if the problem reoccurs in some other scenario, feel free to reopen and provide the steps.

Status duplicate active

I have instructions to reproduce this effect, though I am not sure if this is exactly what the OP describes:

1) Open/Create a score with an instrument.
2) Add enough bars so that two or more systems of the same instrument appear on one page.
3) Add a key signature somewhere in the score, but certainly before the rehearsal mark you will add in the next step.
4) Add a rehearsal mark at the first bar of the next system.
5) Enable multimeasure rests. Observe that the same key signature is reiterated at the rehearsal mark.

I don't think this is similar to #284100, as this one involved rehearsal marks, which I noted in the OP's score.
OS: Windows 10 (10.0), Arch.: x86_64, MuseScore version (64-bit): 3.0.5.5992, revision: 58dd23d

Priority P1 - High

Confirmed, this is still an issue on master. Seems related anyhow - the rehearsal mark is forcing the mmrest to start at that point, which does happen to be the start of the system.

Status PR created duplicate
Workaround No Yes

"I hope the fix will allow me to actually remove the key signatures. Currently I mark them invisible, which is a workaround, but it leaves the mm rests with an extra gap at the beginning. Currently there is no way to actually really delete them or make them completely disappear."

This is also how, at this time with version 3.0.5.5992 on Win 7, I'm dealing with this oddity. What I did was re-create a part from scratch, the ground up (a tuba part turned into a bass part, to ease some transposing on the fly misery;-). There are three key changes, and the best I can do for now is make the two instances invisible via the inspector tool. I've attached this file, for the record; it's a cosmetic annoyance, by far over anything of a showstopper.
Thanks kindly for letting me know how to fix; saving the file, closing it out and restarting Musescore does not work to fix this, at least with me. Thanks also for flagging me via email, if this isn't automatically done. ;-)

Attachment Size
Flight_of_the_Piasa.mscz 19.67 KB

When I load your file into 3.1, click the phantom key signatures, and press delete, they go away, and they stay gone after save/reload. It's possible making them invisible actually helped with the undeletability. Anyhow, if I create a from scratch in 3.1 and use the steps here to reproduce the problem, then it does go away on save/reload.