Improvements to the mixer GUI
The mixer interface has a substantially different aesthetic than the rest of MuseScore, particularly due to its use of svg files for the icons. I have a couple of suggestions for improvements which would make the mixer not only look better but also be more intuitive to use:
- exchange the solo and mute svg buttons per track for regular QT Push Button, similarly to the ones used to Mute Voices
- it's very difficult to tell whether a voice is muted or not given that pressing a button colours it with the voice colour. A better approach is to make those buttons darker when the voice is muted.
- when an instrument is collapsed into all of its sub-tracks (e.g. arco, pizzicato, and tremolo for violin), the subtracks could use a better visual indication of belonging to an instrument. The audio software REAPER uses a neat visual indication for subtracks: they have a kind of 'indentation', making the size of the tracks a bit smaller (see images below and this will be clearer). This also avoids the unnecessary instrument name on top of these sub tracks
- currently, the Solo, and Mute buttons and the Pan knob are positioned slightly lower for sub-tracks of an instrument. This is because the instrument name on the top forces them to be a bit lower. They would look better if the position did not change.
- finally, there is no need for the centre tick on the panning knob, that adds no useful information.
Below are some before and after images. The after images are mock ups I made to show how the mixer could look after these improvements: