Barline symbols are available in the Barlines palette:
Change barline type
To change an existing barline, use one of the following:
- Select a barline, or measure, then double click an icon in the Barlines palette.
- Drag an icon from the Barlines palette onto a barline, or a measure, in the score.
- Select an existing barline, then adjust "Style" in the "Barline" section of the Inspector.
To change a non-single to a single barline:
- Select the barline and press Del.
To hide a barline:
- Select the line and press V, or uncheck Visible in the Inspector.
To insert a new barline between existing ones, either:
- Drag an icon from the Barlines palette onto a note or rest.
- Select a note or rest, then double-click an icon in the Barlines palette.
Split a measure
You can insert a barline in order split a measure. Use one of the following methods:
- Press Ctrl (Mac Cmd) and drag the line to the first note of the new measure.
- Select the first note of the new measure and press Ctrl (Mac Cmd) while you double click a barline.
Note: As of version 3.1 (or earlier), all barlines entered this way are entered as Normal Barlines. See also Split a measure.
It is possible to create custom barlines by selecting one or more barlines, and adjusting the properties in the "Barlines" section of the Inspector:
- Style: Chose from a range of preset barlines.
- Span to next staff: joins the selected barline to the barline in the staff below.
- Span from: Sets the position of the top of the barline. "0" is the top staff line. Positive numbers start lower down the staff, negative numbers above.
- Span to: Sets the position of the bottom of the barline (see "Span from").
- Span presets: Use the buttons to apply preset customized barlines.
See also Mensurstrich.
Changes to color and horizontal/vertical offset can also be made in the Inspector.
Barlines may extend over multiple staves, as in the grand staff of a piano, or in an orchestral score to join instruments in the same section. To join barlines:
Double-click on a barline to enter Edit mode.
Click on the lower blue handle and drag it down to the staff you wish to connect to. The handle snaps into position so there is no need to position it exactly.
Press Esc to exit edit mode. This will update all other relevant barlines as well.